Moxa or more properly termed Moxibustion is an ancient technique using dried and sifted Mugwort to aid in the healing process. It is one of my favorite tools in Chinese Medicine. Moxa is very healing and versatile.
It often comes packed in a cigar like paper tube called the Moxa stick. One the Moxa is lit, it is gently placed about an inch over the skin and produces a wonderful warming effect. The procedure is often done as the patient relaxes on the treatment table and typically lasts 10 to 20 minutes.
Here are some popular reasons to include Moxa in your treatments:
- Warms the skin, and deeper into the muscle layer all the way to the tendons and bone.
- Improves circulation of blood and qi (Chinese word for life-force energy)
- Improves circulations of fluids in the body (the lymph system)
- Greatly reduces pain and swelling
- Aids in healing the body of injuries
- Soothes achy, fatigued limbs
- Aids in arthritis symptoms
- Reduces menstrual pain and discomfort
- Aids in reducing symptoms of neuralgia and Bell’s Palsy
- Greatly reduces fatigue and strengthens the body
- Benefits frozen shoulder symptoms
- Widely used in cases of Fibromyalgia, and Chronic Fatigue symptoms
There are various ways that Moxa is used and all of them are incredibly beneficial. Please ask me any questions you may have about incorporating Moxa into your treatment protocol.